Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Facebook is My Friend

Like millions of others, I’ve become a fan of Facebook (FB), which I joined about 18 months ago. As is the case with many newcomers to FB, I signed up for just about every application. I got to super poke, give good karma, plant trees, give sea creatures, and accept all sorts of lovely things. The problem is that the darn thing consumed too much of my time. Now I use it mostly for connecting with people.

I love FB because I have made hundreds of new friends from all over the world. Most of those are people I’ve made through Common Tables (www.commontables.org), an interfaith organization for whom I do pro bono PR. It’s easy to befriend those who think the world would be a better place if more of us came to understand and honor that which makes us difference from one another and celebrate the things we have in common.

There are several Monaghans (and one Monahan) on FB, who are friends, simply because we share the same last name, but they’ve become great new pals. A number of my friends on FB are people I actually know. Just in the past two months, I’ve reconnected with dozens of former co-workers and classmates I thought I’d never see again.

Those who don’t get social media consider it a waste of time. As I've already admitted, it can be, but it’s also brought me in touch with people I dearly love. As a public relations professional, I’ve realized that social media is a tool I must embrace and use frequently. It cannot replace person-to-person contact, but it can enhance existing connections and help form new ones.

I’m no longer super-poking or doing any of the other fun things on FB which I so enjoyed, but I continue to build my network and make new friends. If you’re on Facebook, feel free to "friend" me. You can also follow me on Twitter – www.twitter.com/hauteflash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a public relations and marketing communications consultant with more than 20 years of experience. I love working with clients who are passionate about the services or products they provide their customers. I take my work seriously, but my sense of humor keeps me from letting life get in the way of my perspective and ability to create. My latest mantra: I'm a work in progress.

Blog Archive