Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not Blahgging

It’s scary writing a blog because I’ve discovered that some people actually read it. I always feel a bit embarrassed when someone I don’t know well says, “Oh, I’ve been following your blog.” I also feel like I’m letting them down. Given the gaps between my blog entries, there’s not a lot to follow. Regardless, I continue to blog because I know there's a point to it.

Every day for the past two weeks, I’ve sat down to update my blog. The words just haven’t flowed. I’ve found myself getting easily distracted. I’ll start to write, and just as I get to something sensible, I look at the clock and realize I’m running late for a meeting, or that it’s time to get back to work on a client project.

I drafted one entry after January 1st – sort of a New Year’s bit, but it seemed trite and more of a blahg entry than anything else, so I scrapped it. In spite of my lack of updates, my life hasn’t been that slow and uninteresting – certainly not this month.

Last week I reconnected with two women I hadn’t seen in 10 years. Initially, I was concerned that they’d see me and think “Man, she looks old!” After all, I’m now in my 50’s, and they’re still in their early 40’s. I advocate that our culture should not so hung up about getting older. Sadly, I share in that hang up. It is when I speak with dear friends, about the different paths our lives have taken us that I cherish my experience as a middle-aged woman. Women my age, who are comfortable in their own skin, do not dwell on petty issues. We embrace our past, acknowledge that we’re learning in the present and anticipate the challenges and opportunities awaiting us in the future.

I’m not an extraordinary woman, but I knew that when I first created thehauteflashsite.com. I’m a typical 50-year-old woman (soon to be 51), who hopes my ramblings might nudge other middle-aged women to see that life, as average as it may be, offers and abundance of experiences and lessons, most of which are pretty darn interesting.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/hauteflash

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a public relations and marketing communications consultant with more than 20 years of experience. I love working with clients who are passionate about the services or products they provide their customers. I take my work seriously, but my sense of humor keeps me from letting life get in the way of my perspective and ability to create. My latest mantra: I'm a work in progress.

Blog Archive